Healthy ways to get fit for summer
It’s that time of year when the weather warms up and we bring out the summer wardrobe. With people trying to slim down for summer, it’s important to make sure that you’re doing it in a healthy way including a balanced diet and exercise.
Before you begin your diet, take these steps to help you set healthy weight loss goals.
· Set realistic weight loss goals. Consider a goal around your lowest weight from age 21 and up.
· Know your numbers. Keep track of your body mass index (BMI) and waist circumference to track your progress. You can calculate your BMI on the National Institutes of Health website.
· Consult your healthcare provider. Talk to your doctor before making big changes in your diet or exercise habits.
A healthy diet should include a wide variety of nutrient-rich foods. Try to aim for a well-balanced plate with these tips:
· Fill half of your plate with fruits and vegetables
· Fill one-quarter of your plate with whole grains like whole wheat, barley, quinoa and brown rice.
· Fill one-quarter of your plate with lean protein like fish, chicken, beans and nuts.
A lot of people feel deprived when dieting, but there are ways to eat healthy and feel satisfied.
· Eat frequently. Eat your meals on a regular schedule with your first meal one to two hours after waking up.
· Try healthy snacks like nuts, fruit, veggies and hummus or whole grain crackers and cheese, but pay attention to serving sizes.
· Eat healthy fats and proteins. This is what makes us feel fuller longer. Try nuts, seeds, plant oils and avocado for healthy fats. Try getting protein from eggs, beans or legumes in addition to meat.
Do you want help eating healthier or managing your diabetes? Call 301-891-6105 to talk with a registered dietitian at Adventist HealthCare.
Find more tips from Nurse Rose here: www.AdventistHealthCare.com/NurseRose