If you’re in need of a service, and care that they support a ministry like WGTS 91.9, you can find a listing of locally-owned businesses here.
WGTS 91.9 Financial Giving Guidelines
1. WGTS 91.9 will operate the ministry of the station with the belief that God is the ultimate source of all of our financial needs and that God primarily uses faithful listeners as His instruments to meet those needs.
2. WGTS 91.9 will encourage its listeners to financially support the station and will provide a variety of opportunities for listeners to do so.
3. Because WGTS 91.9 believes that financial resources should be given responsibly and by faith, WGTS 91.9 will never attempt to manipulate or coerce listeners to give nor will it encourage the use of methods of giving that could potentially cause a listener to give irresponsibly.
4. WGTS 91.9 is committed to “need-based” support and thus will communicate our particular needs to the listeners prior to requesting they provide financial resources to the station.
5. Because WGTS 91.9 is a listener-supported ministry, WGTS 91.9 will show its appreciation to those who support the ministry by, among other things, sending meaningful communication regarding the listener’s financial support and by providing a record of their giving.
6. Because WGTS 91.9 desires accountability to its listeners, WGTS 91.9 will report to listeners how it uses funds given to support the ministry, and WGTS 91.9 will discourage the establishment of any funding source or plan that would result in the station losing accountability to its listeners.
7. WGTS 91.9 will not accept financial support from any person or entity, or under any circumstances, that would cause WGTS 91.9 to relinquish or have diminished control over the operation or would compromise our integrity.
There are several ways to give to WGTS 91.9:
301-891-4200 (Business line)
7600 Flower Ave.
Takoma Park, MD 20912
WGTS 91.9 is a non-profit organization providing faith-building, family-safe, Christian music to the Washington D.C. area.
We are licensed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) as a non-profit and non-commercial radio station. We can accept business sponsorship/underwriting in return for mentions of your business. Due to our non-profit status, all business support is tax deductible.
What is Underwriting?
Underwriting is a great way to help support the family-friendly Christian programming on WGTS 91.9. If you would like to align your business through this ministry, underwriting is a perfect option. The underwriting announcement is not an advertisement for the business or organization, but a statement that the business or organization supports the program and the radio station.
The underwriter is strictly providing revenue or merchandise to support WGTS 91.9, and has no control over the programming or the time their announcements run. The station is by no means obligated to play certain music or promote certain records or concerts in exchange for an underwriting sponsorship. Members of the WGTS 91.9 staff are not allowed to accept money, goods, services, or other valuable considerations from individuals, organizations or businesses to broadcast a program or program material. The staff is expressly forbidden from promoting any activity or product in which he or she has a direct financial interest.
The Benefits of Underwriting on WGTS 91.9
In addition to supporting family-friendly Christian radio in the Washington, D.C. area, becoming a WGTS underwriter can have many positive benefits for your organization:
- Underwriting positively impacts our listener’s opinion of your organization, influencing their decision to purchase your products and services.
- Our listeners will visit your establishment, do business with you, and thank you for your support of public radio. This is a testimony to the incredibly rare loyalty of Christian radio listeners.
- Underwriting builds good will, and community awareness, with listeners who are active, affluent and educated.
- Your message is concise–and broadcast in an environment free from commercial clutter, increasing its impact.
- You receive additional mentions on our website.
- Your message will be listened to by our donors, who consider WGTS so valuable they provide us with financial support through pledges and memberships.
- You associate yourself with family-safe music intended to introduce and nurture a relationship with Jesus Christ.
- You help ensure WGTS’ future as a viable, safe for the family radio alternative.
Our listeners are loyal, bright, vocal and understand the value of a radio station that provides an entertaining family-safe haven.
- Cumulative Audience: 500,000+ listeners
- Gender: 70% female; 30% male (Women write 80% of the checks in a household)
- Average Age: 38 years
- Occupation: 75% Professional
- Average income of this group: $65,000 (approx.)
- Education: 80% college degree/attended
- Time spent listening: 8+ hours/week
According to Barna Research, radio is by far the most powerful Christian medium. Christian radio programming reached 52% of the nation’s adults– 109 million people. Over 40% of this group is unchurched. The fastest-growing type of Christian broadcasting is music. Christian music is the only radio format that is experiencing a significant growth. According o the Christian Booksellers Association, overall music sales in the United States dropped 9% in the first half of this year, the sale of contemporary Christian and gospel tunes grew 18%. WGTS 91.9 attracts these active consumers who get involved in their communities. They travel, vote, dine out, read books, use the Internet, exercise and most importantly listen to family-friendly radio.
As an underwriter your business will receive on-air announcements that include the standard underwriting preamble (see below). All radio stations below 92FM are classified by law as non-commercial radio stations, as such the underwriting announcements are governed by rule or law, created and policed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
To make the most of your partnership with WGTS 91.9 and to make your announcements representative of your business please keep in mind that the written word is often different from the spoken word. What reads well in print may not sound right when read by an announcer. In composing on-air announcements consider our prohibited and appropriate copy language as outlined below in regards to both our station policy and the FCC regulations.
These regulations serve to protect the non-commercial content that our radio listeners value so highly. In this way, the special integrity of the relationship between us and our listeners extends to the underwriter as well. Our listener positively identifies the underwriter with the high quality programming of WGTS 91.9.
For Profit Entities:
The FCC requires all copy to begin with the legal name of your business of organization or the name of the business which will be paying for the underwriting (the name on the check should match the name in the preamble).
Research shows that listeners are more likely to remember and respond if only one phone number or web site is given in a script. We suggest that a company rotate messages so that no message contains more than one reference to phone or web.
The FCC has very strict rules and guidelines concerning announcements on non-commercial stations.
- On-air announcements include: your organization name, address, telephone number, product and service, a value-neutral description, historical information, and a non-promotional slogan.
- Announcements will be a maximum of 30 seconds. WGTS allows the following word constructions: Your organization name, address and telephone number, trade usages, and proper names. Announcements must meet the guidelines of WTS and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
- Your organization name will be mentioned in the announcement.
- Established and trademarked slogans only. Slogan must not be promotional per FCC guidelines and regulations. Each slogan is judged individually and documentation is required.
- Final approval of copy lies with WGTS. These regulations serve to protect the non-commercial content that our listeners value so highly. In this way, the special integrity of the relationship between the station and our listeners extends to the underwriter as well.
According to FCC rules:
Announcements may not interrupt programing, or contain any of the following:
- comparative language: “best”, “greatest”, “leading”, “award winning”
- non-identifying verbosity
- price information: “free performance”, “as low as $99.00”
- calls to action: “visit”, “call”, “read”
- inducements to buy, sell or lease: “discounted”, “on sale”, “free”, “special price”, “reduced”
- promotional or value laden adjectives: “special”, “wonderful”, “most efficient”
- first-person words which imply endorsement by announcer: “my”, “our”
If you are a non-profit entity the FCC does allow some relaxation of the rules. They allow us to do more promotion than what is allowed for a for-profit organization. We do need proof of your non-profit status before we can even produce your underwriting announcement.
Underwriting Arrangements: It takes 10 business days to get your announcement on the air, so plan ahead and send us your copy and the underwriting agreement back as soon as possible. Underwriting starts upon signing an agreement between the station and the underwriter, and the receipt of a check for the amount of underwriting announcements. If the underwriter wants to continue on a monthly basis, billing will be made on a monthly basis with prompt payment required. Thank you again for your interest in supporting family-friendly Christian music in the Washington D.C. area.