800-700-1094

- Strong Enough - Matthew West
    - Multiplied - NEEDTOBREATHE
    Listen Live
  • Idol does Shout to the Lord

April 10, 2008 by
    Filed under Rob Conway

By popular demand, I’ve posted both performances of the Idol contestants doing “Shout to the Lord.” Many of you noticed they took out the word “Jesus” the first night, but put it back in the following night. My guess is the producers received a lot of flack for it. Enjoy!

Comments

42 Responses to “Idol does Shout to the Lord”
    1. Abigail says:

I love love this! IT IS AWeSOME!!! but if you can dude, please fix (in your song log) the song “Avalon, Pray” it is completly wrong. The lyrics are right, but the song is not at all the same. I really love this song on the radio, but i would like to listen on your site too. please fix this.

2. Vicki Selvey says:

This is so awesome!!! Not only did they sing it both nights but they put the name “Jesus” back in on the second night. It is usually the other way around. They are forced to remove it after it happens once or, it is edited out.

Praise to the King for letting us be salt and light in this dark world. Thank you Rob and WGTS for all your hard work to keep the path lit for all of us walking in his marvelous light ! God Bless you.

3. Dee Defeo says:

Thank you, Rob Conway! Just watched your posted You Tube. Of course Jesus is in both versions because even the rocks will cry out to praise HIM! But the 2nd one is much better. Thanks again Rob and WGTS.Sunday, May 18, 2008 just moved just got my highspeed internet connected.

4. Kay says:

I am surprised at some of the negative feedback from all those who proclaim to be Christians. For those who are so hard core Christians, it’s a wonder you are even viewing American Idol since it is considered secular. Let’s remember, it is not our job to judge, but God’s. In the end we all have sin we need to reconcile with but it’s easy to be self righteous because half of us are not in the public eye for scrutiny, which makes it easy to hide our sins and condemn others for theirs.

5. Randy says:

To Dominic:

They will know we are Christians by our……wrath? Judgement? Nitpicking? No love. Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous. Love does not brag and is not arrogant….But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love. Quoting the Old Testament laws and calling human beings “filthy rags” as well as telling other bloggers that “what you say is worthless” doesn’t really match any Bible reference in the New Testament. When we reach out to the world for Christ, we have to do it with love. When we don’t, I have to wonder about our motives. Most name-calling and acts of condemnation are carried out due to a need to make the accuser feel more self-righteous rather than to glorify God. I’m not at all saying these are your motives. I can only point fingers at myself. I remind myself when I feel judgemental…”Do I feel the love of Christ in my life and do I remember all that he has done for me?” The answer is a resounding YES! Then, I try to figure out how I can share the loving relationship that Jesus gives with someone who doesn’t know that kind of love. I think this behavior will help a lost wolrd vs. Christians bickering on the internet about American Idol.

6. Mary says:

Praise the LORD!!!!!!! It is truly amazing that this Christian song was sung on T.V. It was wonderful to hear and watch the singers; I feel they sang with passion and reverence, so beautiful I cried. I don’t watch Idol because I don’t always like the comments and criticism that the people receive; they have been rude and disrespectful at times. I’m sorry I missed the show with this group singing that song. Thanks WGTS!

7. nicole says:

I was surprised but very happy to hear this song on the show! Praise the lord!!!

8. Mrs. Kat says:

Dominic: While I appreciate your knowledge of God’s Word, and I wholly agree with your comments on sin seperating us from God, I think that you’re missing the point. I do not generally watch FOX. In fact, the only show of theirs that interests me is America’s Most Wanted. I do not watch American Idol. The name in itself creeps me out. FOX is known for its secular, and some may call depraved shows. But I do give them praise for taking this step. I agree their motives were probably far from wholesome, but they took that first step that I never thought they would. More importantly, they reached an audience that may otherwise never even hear Jesus’ name mentioned! Evangelism needs to start somewhere. If only the sinless were allowed to discuss the Lord, His name would never be mentioned!!! To be able to see, to learn, to experience, to KNOW His wonderful grace, we need to HEAR about it first. Yes, there were probably some on that stage who didn’t believe what they were singing — at that moment. But that doesn’t mean that the Spirit couldn’t have started moving within them. Maybe just singing that song publicly has them questioning their own beliefs. Maybe they want to know more now. Not to mention all of the non-believers who were really introduced to Jesus for the first time. Jesus didn’t spend his time with the righteous, just as doctors don’t work on healthy people. He knew that He was needed among the sick and the lost. So many of us have become almost snobs — we avoid anyone that we think is sinful. That also makes us hypocrites because the only difference between our sin and theirs, is that ours have been forgiven. Don’t they also deserve that chance as much as we did? I have a MySpace page, and on it I accept ANYONE who asks to be my friend, simply because I’m hoping that when I’m finished with my page, that it will be inspiring and informative. Maybe someone just surfing will come across it, and they’ll see something that catches their interest, or that makes them question. I try to lead my life as Jesus did — all are welcome. I know that my heart and soul will not be changed because I know Who lives in me, and I know where my path is headed. However, there are ones that are lost and unsure. I pray that His light will shine through me to them. God bless all who read this and feel the motivation to break down their walls and embrace the lost! And God bless all of the lost who are finally seeking out the Truth, the Way, and the Life!!!

9. Steve says:

Personally, I loved the video that was done by the American Idols. Many of you brought up that you didn’t like the fact that they changed the lyrics. Personally, I think it was a smart move. Think back to when you were not saved or your friend was not saved. How were you saved? Did someone bombard you with information about the Gospel or did they ease you into understanding Jesus? American Idol producers were bold in what they did and I respect them for it. They honored many people regardless of their religious beliefs. In addition, it allowed for Christians like us to start the conversation with the non-believers and for us to share who Jesus is. Remember…there is always a reason why things happened the way they did.

10. Alison says:

Wow! Thats amazing. I had no idea they sang this until I completed the survey today. I am encouraged that that they allowed this, and I would be curious as to who suggested the song and what the initial response to it was. Is it my imagination or were some of the contestants as ‘animated’ while singing this as I have seen them the couple of times i have watched? Singing praise songs is one of my closest times with The Lord, and it hurts to see some singing the words and not meaning it. One of my my favorite quotes is by John Piper, “God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him.” Obviously this means so many things to different people, but in song many feel exactly that glory and satisfaction.

11. Dominic says:

Miko, remember that Jesus said “I am the way the truth and the life; NO MAN cometh unto the Father BUT BY ME.” (John 14:6). Jesus is our only way to reach God. That means not just in words (or songs) but in our hearts we must receive Jesus as saviour before we can have any communication with God. Remember, God cannot look upon sin, and after Adam and Eve sinned, there was a seperation between God and Man. A song does not bring that relationship back together, only the Precious Blood of the Sinless Lamb (Jesus) can do that. People take the sacrifice of Jesus much too lightly and do not see themselves as sinners anymore. Our righteousness is as FILTHY RAGS (Isaiah 64:6). So to be blunt, anyone who sings that (or any worship) song to Jesus who has not been regenerated (made a new man) is just offering up filthy rags to God. God does not receive filthy rags, only true worship from people whose lives have been forgiven and changed by Jesus. The Bible is TRUTH not someone’s opinion. If you cannot give Bible references for what you say, then it is your opinion and our opinion is worthless. I hope that helps direct you back to the Word.

12. Miko says:

Shout to the Lord is my favorite worship song. When I hear it, I often close my eyes and imagine myself singing to Jesus. I, too, was not impressed to hear them take “Jesus” out of the song. The most special part about the song is that it is a love song TO Jesus! I’m glad they corrected themselves. Also, God is praised when people worship him, whether they are true disciples of Jesus or not. It is over and over in the scriptures, and He does hear the prayers and worship of those who praise him in sincerity, because HE is good-not us. It does not save us, but He does honor it, and that is over and over in the scriptures as well. Who knows but that some hearts were stirred by singing or hearing praises to God that would not otherwise have been? I’m sure there was some less than pure motive to why they chose that song, but as the scripture says, whether by false motives or true, who cares – the important thing is that Christ is preached. Whether the motives were tainted or not, there was nothing false about the message – which was that Jesus is to be trusted, praised and adored.

Rob, I too would love to see the truly honoring version of the song from Thursday posted! Thanks for keeping uplifting the listeners of WGTS!

13. Felicia Hart says:

I would like you to put the results show “My Jesus” on this website… not the one you have… I “DVR’d” it but I would like it on my computer as well… Please do this for all of us who are very excited to have our Savior’s name on American Idol… He is the BEST… He is in charge… I praise God for this and am eager to watch these marvelous young people tonight…

14. Jan says:

I heard someone on the radio mention this briefly so my husband and went looking on the site. Thanks so much, since we actually missed this one – how incredible, one of our favorite praise songs on American Idol. I would like to email Fox about it – does anyone have the correct site/email to do this?

Blessings!

15. Dominic says:

God is good but good is not God!
      Praise coming from people who are not born-again is not received by God. God cannot look upon sin and does not hear the prayers (or praise) of sinners (John 9:31). He only hears the prayer of repentance from those who have not received His free gift yet. We must let the Word of God (the Bible) direct our conversations and not our emotions. I get much more excited when I know that a true Christian is singing a worship song and not someone who wants to be an American Idol. Remember, idolatry is not a good thing (crack open your Bible and renew your mind).

16. Sophie says:

I heard about the song being done on WGTS. I wouldn’t have known about it if it wasn’t for this WONDERFUL STATION keeping us informed on what is happening around us. I do plan to send Fox an email commending on this.

AMEN TO THE DIFFERENCE THAT CAN BE MADE IN WORLD BECAUSE OF MASS MEDIA!!!!!!

17. cindy says:

The whole TRUTH and nothing but the TRUTH! My Jesus My SAVIOR!!!!

18. What a wonderful way to shout out to a needy world! It was so uplifting.

19. Tambra says:

I missed the end of the first night, so I only thought there was the “Jesus” version on Results night (which I watched LIVE) until I read this blog. This is one of my all-time favorite songs and to hear those AI kids singing it so joyfully just made me so happy I wanted to cry! They did an outstanding job! I’ve already downloaded it from iTunes (it is the “Jesus” version. What a wonderful way to introduce uplifting Christian pop to the entire world!!! Hallelujah!!

20. Sheryl Colliver says:

I hope everyone caught Thursday’s American Idol, which started with
      a reprise of “Shout to the Lord” … and they started it, “My JESUS, my Savior…” as the lyrics are actually written. I didn’t catch the moments before so I don’t know why they sang it again and included the correct lyrics, but it was even better than the night before, at the end of “Idol Gives Back!” They were on fire, and it was so awesome!

I was so amazed and uplifted and glad they did again, and got the song right!

21. Cindy says:

I missed the results show version, but was awestruck with the original. I went to YouTube to see the HD version & my search turned up the ‘reprise’ version from the results show. Oh my, brought tears to my eyes. I’ve been watching both over & over again. I can’t wait to hear WGTS’s version with Darlene Zschech & the Idol finalists. That sounds like it will be fabulous.

22. The Good says:

Anyone who seeks good or beauty is seeking God, whether these people or the producers know it or not, they are praising the only One true God, the ultimate good, the most beautiful. Even those who watch this for secular reasons to see talent, are in a sense seeking God, the source of that talent. St. Thomas Aquinas tells us all of mankind participates by their very existence in the existence of God. To exist and show worthy singing echoes St. Paul: “Whatever is good, beatiful, true…” dwell on these things.
      The Lord received praise and glory from this song, watered down or not.

23. Lisa says:

Ok, I’ll admit I , too agreed with the changing of the lyrics, from Jesus to shepherd was poor because that not how the original song was written ,as we all know….unfortunately I missed the corrected version. I’m very glad that they did the original last night. Just to comment, we are in the last days, folks. Just the mention of the name Jesus Christ brings anger and offense, like it always has. With the whole watering down of the gospel and accepting any and every doctrine just because a god or something that sounds “religious” is mentioned is surely deception at its finest. And yes, we should make a “big deal” of changing lyrics. Why didn’t they choose to change another word? I think we know the answer to that. True, he is our Shepherd, but that is something only a believer can experience, remember that Jesus stated “My sheep know My voice” ….but don’t ever think for one moment that those who are being led down the path of deception don’t have a relationship with their god! You bet they do. But, the false god cannot have a relationship with them. That is the thing that is heartbreaking. We need to pray for their eyes and hearts to be opened to the truth. Also, you are correct in stating we shouldn’t make judgements about the AI staff or anyone for that matter…but this is not judging. This is testing the spirit…this principle is found in I John 4. Judging someone means you are pronouncing sentence and none of us by any means worthy of that! That belongs to God and Him alone, the only One who is perfect and will judge rightously. May the Lord continue to bless all of you at WGTS!

24. Jo says:

I was okay with the first night…..The Lord is my Shepherd!! Shepherd was okay with me. But on Thursday when they said “Jesus,” there was cheering all over my house! What an awesome, powerful thing to hear that song with the original lyrics sung on Fox! I think we should all contact Fox and let them know how much we liked it. You know if someone didn’t like it, they’d contact them….and maybe have already. We need to show them our support of their decision to play it again with the correct lyrics.

25. John says:

Eve – Did you miss above where they changed back to the original lyrics last night?

26. Rob says:

Ben’s dad here…

I’m so glad they did the song again last night. I’m sure the producers got plenty of flack for the fact that #1, they changed “Jesus” to “Shepherd” and #2, it went 10 minutes over the night before, so most people didn’t catch it. So I’m impressed they were willing to really put it out there again.

I could re-post this with the video from last night, but I think I’ll keep this one since most people missed this performance and it had confetti at the end (woo-hoo!) which automatically makes it better. :-)

Be listening for our new version of the song with Darlene Zschech featuring the Idol finalists, if you haven’t heard it yet.

Thanks for all the feedback here–keep it coming!

27. Patti says:

I missed the song on the first night, but I caught it when they sang it the next night. That night, they sang it with the right words! What a blessing to hear them sing that song, with the words, “My Jesus, My Savior”! We were amazed! Great arrangement as well! Thanks for posting the video on here, but the second night’s was much better!

28. Penny says:

Did they really sing the correct line – “My Jesus, My Savior” – on the results show? I missed it! Praise God!! I am definitely glad they sang this song of praise even if they did replace the word Shepherd with Jesus. However, for those who made the decision to replace the word, Jesus did say if you are ashamed of me or deny me in front of man, I will be ashamed of you and deny you in front of God.

Nonetheless, God works all things to the good of those who are called according to His purpose. He can and has taken the most unbelieving people in power and used them for His mighty purpose! Praise God!

29. Randy says:

I agree with J.R. that we can’t make judgements about the faith of the AI staff. Maybe if we as Christians started appreciating the attempts of the mainstream media to positively represent our faith instead of looking for every “splinter in their eye” we might find them more receptive to our views and opinions.

30. J.L.S says:

The fact is God can use anything and anyone to bring Glory to Him. I don’t know how anyone could have watched that and not felt the true message of the song. Whether the producers were aiming for more money, the Christian audience, or whatever else doesn’t matter b/c it’s not their agenda that will prevail. I believe there were hurting people watching that show (simply b/c it’s AI) who were reminded who they can run to during that last song. Praise God that He can use secular shows, music and his children who may not be the “perfect Christians” (even to the point others may say non Christian) to bring others to Him.

31. J.R. says:

YAY! The American Idols sang Shout to the Lord again on the results show…with the correct line – “My Jesus, My Savior”. Outstanding.

32. Philip says:

Even though they changed “Jesus” to “shepherd”, the song still retains the same meaning: singing praise to the Lord our God! I think they changed the words, so that everyone who believes in the one God (not just Christians, but Jews and Muslims too) could all relate to the song. (However, that is just my guess – I don’t know if it is true at all.) For us Christians, though, substituting “Jesus” with “shepherd” still makes sense because Jesus is our Good Shepherd, and we are his flock, so the imagery is just as strong. I don’t think we should make a big deal about them changing one word. We should praise God that they even put that song on the show!

33. J.R. says:

You can’t just say “These people are not saved yet,so they don’t have the kind of scriptural understanding of the revelation of Jesus that we are privilledged to have” since you don’t know *them* personally. There just might be a Christian producer, exectutive, or director among those responsible for choosing Shout to the Lord. I was surprised, but also was just amazed. And while watching the preformance, you could almost tell which singers truly believed what they were singing.
      It’s no surprise that some of the contestants are Christians. Former American Idols like Mandesa, Melinda Doolittle, Chris Sligh, and even Carrie Underwood have all made their faith known to the world through American Idol. This year, we have already heard that Brooke White and David Archulta are both Christians. God is truly using American Idol has His platform! I keep hoping that one of these seasons will feature a Contemporary Christian or even Gospel themed week. It might be closer to happening than we know. :)

34. Nate's Mom says:

The first thought I had was, why had they left Jesus out! Other than that, it’s a nice rendition of the song. I appreciate Ben’s dad for posting it here. Keep up the great work, WGTS!

Nate’s Mom

35. Catherine Ndungu says:

Wow!I missed this episode yesterday.Give these guys a break.These people are not saved yet,so they don’t have the kind of scriptural understanding of the revelation of Jesus that we are privilledged to have.I believe this is the work of the HolySpirit;that the Ai producers would even think of this song,there are numerous secular songs that could have fit the theme of the night but why was ‘Shout To The Lord’ picked,God’s hand was definitely involved.
      Thanks to the WGTS staff and family.I love what you do!

36. David says:

I thought that it was great that they did this, even though the show ran over by almost 10 minutes, they didn’t cut it off. They may have tried to be politically correct by leaving out Jesus, but it was still powerful. On another note, I thought to myself, why were they doing this? Then it hit me, these producers are smart. Who is generally the most giving? What does the bible tell Christians to do? GIVE!!! The producers were reaching out to believers to be able to rake in more money. I believe that they use this money very well though and it was going to good causes. In my mind, it was very smart of the producers and I hope the song and money help change peoples lives.

37. Lynette says:

They left out Jesus but let’s pray that those who heard the song will find Him because of the show.

38. Crystal says:

God is Good…all the time. That he could turn such a worldly, idolatry-promoting, and lustful stage, into a instrument for His glory, is powerful! If Christians would spend more time to model true faith and brotherly love, instead of profess themselves (i.e. funeral protestors, “religion right activist”, etc.) then more people would want to know what is different about us and will want to know the grace of Jesus that makes us different.

I love the staff of WGTS. Keep up the good work!
      Crystal

39. Jenny C. says:

This is good stuff!! I missed Idol Gives Back, but will be watching it tonight with my daughter and grandson. It is so good to see praises given to the Lord where they are due. Thanks Ben’s dad for posting this for us to watch over and over and over again. God bless you all.

40. Big Pepp says:

I didn’t agree with what AI did with the song. If I were to sing the jingle, ” You’re in good hands, with that insurance company”, instead of saying Allstate, that defeats the whole purpose of the song. By leaving JESUS out of that song, totally took away from the real message of the song. Once again, you can’t mix JESUS with the world. I have to wonder if the song was sung just to get the support of the Christian body.
      Keep smiling!

Big Pepp

41. Kristin says:

While I was both shocked and encouraged that the Idol producers chose to have the contestants sing this song, why did they need to leave out “Jesus” from the lyrics. They changed the beginning to “My Shepherd, my Savior.”
      The song leaves no question who it is about. So why did they feel the need to “politically correct” it? It’s almost as if they thought if they left Jesus out of the picture viewers would be dumb enough to think it’s just a positive song to make us feel good. I feel as though the producers are going to wake up this morning with a little egg on their faces.